At the ripe age of 30, I have given up on New Years resolutions.
Instead, in 2011 I’ve decided to set myself goals. Starting with my “baby weight”…. I mean enough is enough already- my “baby” is 2 years old. This weekend I had a conversation about putting her in *gasp* pre-school in September- and I am still claiming “baby weight”? It’s crazy.
Before the holidays, I started the new Weight Watcher’s Points Plus programonline as a test-run for the new year. I lost 3 lbs, that I gained right back (as I expected) during my over indulgent holiday… but today, I am restarting and making this weight loss the first of my New Year Goals (I know, not very original- but dammit I am determined!)
I’ve chosen Weight Watchers for 2 reasons:
– I love food and with Weight Watchers you eat what you like.
- I like that you can plan out your points so that you don’t feel like you are depriving yourself if you are going out with friends on the weekend – or really want that piece of chocolate during *that* time of the month.
Their points system is all about accountability.– It has worked for me in the past
- . Before I had kids,
I lost 27 lbs on their points plan
- . I didn’t gain anything back for years- until I had kids. I even lost all 50lbs of my baby weight with my 1st child in 6 months! ….
What about Weight Watcher’s New Points Plus System? … What’s Different about it?
Does it work as well as the old plan?
The new plan is focusing more on “filling foods” and fresh foods. Beyond that, I can tell you there are 3 basic differences in the old Points plan and The New Points Plus plan-
- Increased points! On The New Points Plus Plan you receive 9 extra points a day and a total of 42 weekly points (I think that’s 10 more than the old plan- but don’t quote me.) I read on one of the Weight Watchers message boards that this change was made because the old plan was “starving” people according to nutrition standards. Personally, I never felt starved on the old plan.
- Fruits and (most) Veggies are point-free! This is possibly the most exciting and concerning about the new plan since so many people love to snack on fruits and because fruits as we know have lots of sugar in them!
- New Point Calculation Formula. The old points plan was based on calculating calories, fiber and fat. The Points Plus plan calculates – fat, protein, carbs and fiber. This results in all new point values. In most cases, the point values increase- though- in other cases- such as my guilty pleasure- Pizza…. the points value has been cut in half from 8pts to 4pts! -I know this baffles me too.
Does it work as well as the old plan though? I personally can’t say just yet. I have my concerns with the increased points etc. It almost seems like TOO much food now, but I did lose 3 lbs that first test week- so I am hoping it works just as well – if not better- than the old plan!
My goal is to lose 15 lbs
My exercise plan is to do 3-4 Zumba classes a week.
My weight watchers tools: I am doing WW online. Using the WW mobile App to track points (I esp. love their “cheat sheet”!), and The Weight Watchers Kitchen Companion IPad app to calculate the point value of my favorite recipes (If you have an Ipad- you have to try this app out! It rocks.)
Are you starting a new health regime? Which plan are you following?
Disclaimer: This was once again NOT a sponsored post. I chose Weight Watchers on my own because in the past I loved it.